Sunday, July 8, 2007

And the Wheel Goes Round Again


When everyone saw Knit One’s pinwheel purse, we all wanted to make one. Being a generous soul, Knit One gave an informal class for a few of us. Now, just a word about modular knitting. Once you get it, it’s fabulous. It’s amazing the freedom it gives you and the wonderful shapes you can form will delight you. But, and it’s a big BUT, it seems to fly in the face of everything you’ve always known about knitting. Knit One says, “You have to think outside of the box.” Didn’t help me since we were knitting triangles but Knit One’s such a good teacher, and she held our hands as she helped us thread our way through the pattern in Modular Knits. The photo above is my effort. It’s larger than Knit One’s because of the size of the yarn (an unknown boucle from my stash) and the size of the needles I used. After I got it going, it really was easy. That’s the thing about modular knitting. It’s very off-putting at first, but once you get the picture, it’s actually fun.
After I made the purse, Knit One helped me make the lining. We even put a zipper in. The last time I put in a zipper was in 7th grade Home Ec and I managed to sew my skirt project together four times before I got it in. I’ve avoided zippers ever since then. But Knit One has a trick for zippers too!
My point is, even if you don’t have a close knit friend who thinks outside the box, you can do this. Try it. Let us know how yours came out. Send a photo; we’d love to see it.

No comments: