Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Needle felted felted bag


Needle felting is a very artistic pursuit. I have seen wonderful pieces as thrilling as any painting or sculpture. I myself am at the crayon stage. I knew one of these bags would make a great base for the technique and it does. This bag was knitted with just two strands of yarn. It is not as firm as the 3 strand bag and you can see that the garter stitch is wider than the body of the bag. This was an accident as I was knitting away and not paying attention. So now I know what happens with two strands for an entire bag.

For those who are not familiar with needle felting, there are sharp needles involved. You need to put a small piece of foam inside the bag under where you are working. NEVER work in your lap. The process itself is rather satisfying, like sticking a voodoo doll.

My defense for this bag is that I was having trouble sleeping so I got up in the middle of the night to work on it and you can see the results. I think it looks a little better in real life than in the photo. Hope it doesn't end up on You knit What 2 .

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

YOUR BAG IS IN NO WAY WEIRD ENOUGH TO MAKE THAT SITE! AFTER SEEING SOME OF THOSE DESIGNS IT MAKES ME WONDER IF THE WHOLE WORLD HAS GONE CRAZY! Or as my "pappy" used to talk about the Quaker gentleman who said to his wife: "I think everyone in the world is weird except me and thee and sometimes I'm not sure about thee!" Sylvia