Sunday, December 16, 2007

Boots are just the beginning


Who thought that a pair of wild raspberry boots could lead to so much? First let me say I LOVE these boots! They give winter in upstate New York a new feel like no black or brown boots ever could. I'm proud to say that I didn't go out and get a new coat to go with these Land's End Overstock boots, BUT I did order luscious Plymouth Baby Alpaca Brush yarn for gloves , hat and scarf. Of course since I was ordering anyway, some more Galway in colors I needed for Undersea bags was a given. We won't discuss how much these bargain boots have cost me so far. I still LOVE them!!!

Now to start with the gloves. Let me say I knitted a pair of fingerless gloves in alpaca before and they are the best! Since I never started my knitters notebook,( You know the one we should keep with yarn , pattern , needle size etc. so we can repeat something if we want to.) [2008 Knitter's Resolution # 1] I had to find a new pattern. I'm using a pattern that I found online at Interweave Knits. It's called Progressive Gloves.

The directions are given to adjust size according to your gauge. So far I'm impressed. As it happens my hand is exactly the size of the sample. The knitting you see is the beginning of a glove." Why should I do a round with 28 stitches" I thought. "After all Elizabeth Zimmerman says to check your gauge with a hat." I have to try a needle size smaller on this piece to see if the gauge is correct. If not, I will follow the directions!

I think this pattern is a good place to try your wings at making something based on your gauge. You will hear more about this later.

1 comment:

tangled stitch said...

Howdy Knit One! Volunteered for the last time today. Sold a bunch of your spectacular catnip mice and saw the effects of them on William. A bunch of lovely sheep and a lovely swan went home with a lucky lady too.

I love, love love the boots and can't wait so see the accessories that go with it. See you soon.