Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Have Achieved Socks!



They are complete, they are cute, they have several little mistakes but they are socks.
And they are mirror images of each other. No worry about the number of rows being different or the length not being quite the same. They are lovely. I now am a member of the sock knitting community. If you had told me three months ago, or even three weeks ago, that I would be knitting socks and loving it I would have said you were slightly mad. Now I am scouring the yarn sites for sock yarn and already have the next pair on the needle. Notice, I said needle, not needles. Yes, I keep mentioning Melissa Morgan-Oakes and her wonderful 2-at-a-time Socks book but I never would have become a sock knitter without it. Many years ago I tried knitting with double points. Trying to coordinate 4 needles and patterns and yarn was disaster for me. I kept dropping needles and stitches and finally gave up. I looked into socks on two circular needles but knew I would never complete the second sock. Now I just have one needle and I wind up with a completed pair. Unless you have tried it, and I strongly encourage you to do so, you can never know the feeling.
The mistakes: I didn’t want to have ladders at the joins so I pulled the first stitch tight but then continued to pull the stitches tightly. At one point, I thought I was going to wind up with baby support hose.
: I don’t pick up stitches well and the instructions require picking up one more stitch than is present at the gusset to avoid holes. I managed half of them but each sock had a small hole on one side. However, it was easy to fix.
: I purchased the needles by price since I didn’t know if I was going to take to this and I wanted to have several different sizes to try. The result was that I was not happy with the join between the cord and the needle. It was not smooth and getting that last stitch, which had been the first stitch which I pulled so tightly, over the hump of the needle join was a pain. Next time I won’t pull as tightly and soon I will purchase better needles. All in all, the experience was great. I only had to frog once, the Kitchener stitch was no problem, Melissa walks you through the process and the pictures are terrific to see if you are where you are supposed to be. At one point I skipped a step and had to make up for it in a following round but I don’t think it made a difference. I now am part of that group which can talk about heel-turning and gussets and toe boxes. I love my little socks!

3 comments:

Mary said...

I think your socks are lovely! What an accomplishement. I never learned to knit but I used to crochet and I quilt (my passion). Thank you for looking in on my Journey blog today and I will probably look in here again, even though I'm not a knitter. I liked your lost and found story, too and hope you give the little pink hat to some little animal to move into when you make a new one :-)

Knit One said...

The pink hat went in the compost to be recycled by whatever creature likes it. I hope it doesn't turn up back under the porch!

melissaknits said...

They are perfect and beautiful socks! The only person who'll ever see any little "design elements" (we don't say the M word) is you. (If anyone else sees, they're looking too hard, and have other issues!)