Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sock it TWO me


I have always thought that as a knitter I should be able to knit socks. Just the vocabulary is enough to put one off; heel flap, heel turning, toe up, top down, gussets. Also, I know my span of concentration is that of a strawberry and even if I knit one sock I would never knit the other. Low and behold, Melissa Morgan-Oakes has written a book for people like me called 2-at-a-time Socks. She shows you how to knit two socks at one time on a 40 inch circular needle; an answer to my knitting prayers. I ordered the book, ordered the needles, ordered the yarn and yesterday I was good to go. Unfortunately, I had a migraine but I thought I’d try anyway. After knitting three rows on one side of one of the socks I started to babble and my husband unhooked my hands from the needles and put me to bed.
Today I started again. I think I may be getting it but, as you can see from the photos, the inset on the left is what Melissa thinks it should look like and the one on the right is what mine looks like.
I have to admit, Melissa suggested doing each sock in a different color to eliminate confusion but that would leave me with the single sock problem all over again. Besides, I assume I’ll make many mistakes on the first one which I will correct on the second time around so I’ll have two pairs of socks, one of each which is riddled with disasters and the other member of each pair will be sort of normal. So I figured I’d use a marker to delineate the socks one from the other.
Secondly, I’m having a problem with the counter-clockwise turn at the center of each row. I carefully watched the clock and turned things the other way but what Melissa said was in my left hand was in my right and vice versa.
I’m not giving up. When I finish this post I’m going to untangle the mess I have and pound it into some semblance of her photo and then I will continue. I hope I don’t have to frog it again because the yarn is looking frazzled already but I have confidence. The woman understands my problem; the least I can do is try to understand her solution. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

melissaknits said...

NEVER GIVE UP! Email me (melissaknits@yahoo.com) if you're stuck, OR (and I really recommend this) if you're on Ravelry there's a great, supportive group called "Friends of Melissa". If you're not on Ravelry (ravelry.com) join up! It's a great place for support for any knitting problem, not just 2-at-a-Time Socks.