Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Back and Blogging











A close knit friend is someone who teaches you how to knit socks on DPNs. Now I’m totally hooked on socks and want to blog about it. On the left is a pic of my very first sock. It is knit using Plymouth Sockotta and I get comments whenever I wear them.
Socks are wonderful for instant gratification. Unlike sweaters, you can actually complete a pair in a couple of weeks (less if you keep at it). For my first pair, I used a very user friendly sock instruction pattern I found in a group on Ravelry. With Becky’s help and these instructions, my first pair was relatively painless. Of course, I felt like Alice in Wonderland trying to play croquet with a flamingo and a hedge-hog as I wrangled the DPNs but by the end of the pair, I had worked out a system.

For my first socks I started with Knit Picks 6” size 2 nickel plated. They worked fine for the Sockotta but when I cast on a merino/nylon blend, I had trouble keeping the needles from falling out of the stitches. I switched to 4” harmony woods and just love them.
My second pair turned into a single sock which I used as a sampler. I was trying to find a stitch pattern to use and just kept knitting at the sock until I found one I liked. I also wanted to try toe-ups because I really don’t like the way I bind off in Kitchener. The top picture is my sampler sock.

I have just cast on my second pair of socks, but more of that at another time.
It’s good to be back.

1 comment:

Kim and Victoria said...

I'm knitting socks with that exact yarn right now!
Yours look great!